Friday, October 17, 2008

Pot stickers--you can freeze these!

POT STICKERS

I love these guys. and who would have thought they'd be so EASY? Not me. These guys you'd pay probably $4-5 for a plate of 6 at a restaurant. I made about 75 for around $12. That's less than a quarter each!! Not too shabby.

Not only that, but they made my house smell so yummy and we got to use our chopsticks.

Here's what we're cooking with. We've got our ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, ground chicken (you could use pork, but we're not really pork eaters) green onions, square wonton wrappers (circle would work as well, but my store didn't have those ones) and coleslaw salad mix.

I chopped up a few green onion stalks. I used two, but I think 4-5 would be better. I also used my new bamboo cutting board. I realized after the fact that cutting onions on something that can only be hand washed was probably not such a good idea. It'll probably make everything else I cut on it forever smell and taste like onions. Maybe I'll have to make it my official onion cutting board.

The go ahead and mix everything together.

Except for the wonton wrappers. We need those for later. And yes, that chicken is NOT cooked. I mixed mine with a spoon instead of my hands, because I hate touching raw meat. Especially when it's ground up like that. Grosses me out.

Mix it good, and decide if you have enough of everything. I put more soy sauce in, because I couldn't even smell it! Please don't taste it. Look at it, smell it, and see if it's good. Or don't. I'm ok with that too.


Now here comes the long process. My dear husband Captain Jax had to watch the munchkin while I did this. I know, his life is so rough.

I have here my tray I'm going to place all the completed wontons on (with my new silicone baking mat!) my mixture, a small bowl of water, and a plate with my wrappers.


Put just a tiny bit of mixture in the middle of each one. no more than a Tablespoon full. probably closer to a heaping teaspoon. Too much mixture and they're too hard to get sealed right. after you make a few, you'll figure out how much works.

Then dip your finger in the water and run it along two edges, so they'll seal. You could also use an egg wash, but water works just fine.

Fold it in half and seal it up!

This is where it gets tricky. You kind of want to fold it in half, bringing the corners together.


Then seal the corners together with some water.

After you have some made, heat a few tablespoons of oil in a pan. We want that oil hot! Once it's ready, put a few pot stickers in there. Don't crowd the pan though! give them all room to breathe.


in pan this size, I was normally cooking 4-5. This was my last batch.


Once they're nice and brown on the bottom, you're going to want to add some water. This is dangerous. Water and hot oil do NOT play well together.


I put a lid on my pan, and moved it aside just a tiny bit so I could add my water. You want these to be about 1/3 of the way covered, so they can steam well. If you have a glass lid, this won't be too bad. Leave the lid on and let them cook for about 5-7 minutes, until the water's gone. You'll probably hear a change in the cooking sound when the water's gone.


Flip them over and let them get brown on the other side too.


Mmmm! Doesn't that plate look great? If you cover them with a lid after they're done, they stay warm on the plate.

We served these with some soy sauce for dipping. We're still trying to find a good sauce that goes well.


But what about the 50 extra I didn't cook? you ask. Well, put that pan in the freezer for a few hours.

Then put them in a freezer bag and keep in your freezer. When you want to cook them, pull them back out and cook them just like the other ones. I had 1/2 frozen ones, and 1/2 fresh ones. Cooked up the exact same.

Can't go wrong with a meal you can freeze!


POT STICKERS
  • 1 package wonton wrappers (about 50ct) either circle or square
  • 1 bag coleslaw mix
  • 1 lb ground chicken
  • 2 t ginger
  • 2-5 stalks green onions--finely chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil

Mix all the ingredients together (except for the wrappers). Spoon a TINY bit(about a Tbsp or less) into the middle of one wrapper (be careful, they stick together in sets of two). Seal the edges with water. The back of the wonton wrappers have a good description on how to fold these up.

To cook, heat about 2-3 Tbsp oil in a pan. After it's HOT, add the pot-stickers, but don't crowd the pan. Let them brown on the bottom for a minute, then put the lid on it. Leave a tiny opening so you can pour some water over them. Hot oil and water do NOT play well together. Remember that kids! :) You'll want to have enough water to cover the pot-stickers about 1/3 of the way. Cover them, and let the cook until the water's gone. You'll hear a difference in the sizzle. Flip them over and cook until the other side's crispy.

(Linked up at: Eat At Home, )

2 comments:

  1. love these, I can't wait to make extras to freeze. Thanks for the great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could eat that whole plate! Love those things.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!