Monday, May 11, 2009

Aebleskivers--Monday Mix Up

AEBELSKIVERS

This is the last recipe I have for our pancake mix! And it's pretty good. A lot of work I thought, more work that I'm willing to put into an everyday meal. . . .but it would be a good 'special occasion' meal.

Grab these things:
Beat just the egg yolks

Then add the water, pancake mix, and melted butter.


While you're mixing that, beat the egg whites until stiff

The gently fold them into the batter. Take your aebleskiver pan(I had to borrow my parents) and melt some butter in each pocket.

Then add your batter (I used about 2 Tbsp in each pocket)

after about 2 minutes, it should be bubbly, and set around the edges. This is where I thought it was too much work. You're supposed to turn it 1/4 a turn, every 30 seconds. (!!!!!) because this cast iron wasn't seasoned very well, they kind of stuck. I ended up using a knife to loosen the edges and turning them completely over. It was just easier that way!

Sprinkle them with some powdered sugar and serve like pancakes!

K-girl ate about 10 of these, it was a little ridiculous I thought. That was on of the things I didn't like about making these, is I felt I spent most of the time in the kitchen turning these guys over, while my family just ate them faster than I could make them.

Next time, I'm going to try a tiny bit of apple pie filling in them, by putting 1 Tbsp batter, the pie filling, then cover it up. Or shredded apples would be great in them as well!

AEBLESKIVERS
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 1/2 cups pancake mix
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter
  • butter for frying
Beat the egg yolks, then stir in the pancake mix, water and the melted butter. Beat the egg whites in another bowl, then fold into your pancake mixture. Butter each cup in the Aebleskiver pan. Fill each up about 3/4 full with the batter. Cook until they're bubbly and set around the edges. If you can, turn 1/4 a turn with a toothpick, or fork, every 30 seconds until cooked through. Or, turn completely over and let it cook through (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Dust with powdered sugar to make it pretty :)

3 comments:

  1. What great looking pan cakes. Sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man alive those look sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on a search for variants on the recipe and found yours, I'll give it a try. I'd like to add to your process a little though. My pan is well loved and seasoned so the flipping is easy now, but I use a wooden skewer, and a small amount of shortening instead of butter... When it's set, and before the bottom is pancake golden, I run the edges with your skewer to loosen, then skewer about half way down the edge and flip all the way. This makes a pretty dome, and as you flip it the unset filling turns into the other side of your sphere, leaving a nice hollow puff. Once the outside is set all the way around, I'll flip them around until they brown nicely and the center is cooked. If you are going to stuff them, then a half turn - put your filling in and carefully finish your turn - you want as little of your stuffing to contact the pan as possible. I love putting cheese inside them - but I also really enjoy having a variety of condiments to put in each one when I sit down to eat. (Jam, whipcream, butter, nutella, peanut butter...) I've found any base recipe works fine as long as you use stiffened egg whites, they are the most important step to getting right.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!