Friday, May 22, 2009

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus

SUN DRIED TOMATO HUMMUS

My sister and her boyfriend have been obsessed with hummus lately. I for one, have never tried it. Although I bought chickpeas, because I do want to try it sometime.

My sister tried like 4 different kinds, and decided they need lots of flavor, to help even out the bean flavor. And she's so thoughtful to think of me when she makes recipes and takes pictures like she knows I like them!


Basic ingredients:
  • Olive oil
  • chick peas
  • sun dried tomatoes
  • lemon juice


Drain the chickpeas, and grind them up good! On a side note, I have almost that same food processor she does! It's just the right size I think.

Add everything else and blend it up again, to get it all mixed good.

Serve with crackers. Pita chips would be really good too.

Thanks Sis for sharing this recipe for me!

Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus
  • 1 15-oz can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • sun-dried tomato pesto
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice
  • italian seasoning (or parsley)
  • garlic (optional)
Directions:
drain chickpeas (or cook them so they are soft enough to mash) and blend them in a food processor (you can smash them up with a potato masher, but I would not recommend it...it takes a LONG time, and a lot of patience!) Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons lemon juice and continue to blend. Add pesto sauce (around 3 tablespoons) and blend that into the hummus as well. Add a little water if necessary to get the hummus to a nice consistency (about 2-3 tablespoons) and the italian seasoning and garlic if you want a little more flavor (the seasoning will help to take away some of the lemon taste if it is too strong at the end, you do not need much). spread on crackers or chips and enjoy the healthy alternative snack to dips.

2 comments:

  1. ooh, I think I have all of these ingredients in the house right now. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful Krystal, Ill have to give it a try as I love sun dried tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!