Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Baked Spaghetti

Photobucket

I'll admit, part of me didn't want to do with challenge, because I already have a spaghetti sauce recipe I like, and I'm not much of a red sauce person.  I'm all about the creamy stuff.  That said, I did find a recipe to suit my fancy; probably because it was similar to the recipe I use! (when I don't just grab a jar. . .when I can get them for $1, it makes my life easier!)

Anyway, I was pleased to find such a great recipe at a blog I love to read: Once A Month Mom.  I love finding recipes I can freeze!  I've even been lucky enough to have some of my recipes included in her monthly meal plans (pumpkin ravioli casserole in Oct 2009, and my baked rigatoni in Dec 2009).  I did alter the recipe to include some peppers, and omitted the ground meat, since Captain Jax doesn't dig ground meat.

Pin It

And then I found another recipe over at Plain Chicken for baked spaghetti and I decided to combine them.  It was awesome!

SPAGHETTI SAUCE
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
From: Once a Month Mom

  • 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
  • 1-2 bell peppers, chopped
  • 29 ounces tomatoes, diced
  • 14.5 ounces tomato sauce
  • 12 ounces tomato paste
  • 2 Tablespoons dried basil
  • 5 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons dried oregano
  • 5 Tablespoons dried parsley 
  • 10 ounces canned mushrooms
  • Optional: 2lbs ground meat--sausage and beef are what the original recipe recommends

In a large pot, cook the onion and peppers (and ground meat, if using) over medium heat.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for at least one hour.  


BAKED SPAGHETTI
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
From: Plain Chicken

  • 1 8oz package cream cheese, softened
  • 12oz spaghetti noodles
  • italian seasoning: parsley, basil, oregano, garlic
  • Spaghetti sauce from above recipe
  • parmesan cheese for topping

Bake spaghetti according to package directions, drain and place cooked noodles in a bowl with softened cream cheese and italian seasoning.  Stir until cream cheese is completely melted and the noodles are all coated.  Cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan with some sauce; approx 1 cup. Add the spaghetti noodles, and then cover with more sauce; approx 2 cups, or however much more you want.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and bake at 350degs for about 30 minutes, until bubbly.

This dish CAN be made ahead of time, and left in the fridge until ready to cook.


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Baked spaghetti is my favorite. I had a hard time with this challenge as well, but ended up with something Husband liked, so win win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my pasta sauce recipe so much that I almost didn't participate either! So glad you did!
    #29

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how many of this months recipe selections include cream cheese! I guess I've been living under a rock - will have to give it a try sometime.

    I hope you'll stop by and visit my CCC - #75 Spaghetti Pie

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many recipes including cream cheese...where have I been all these years? Looks delicious.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my CCC entry: Tomato Sauce with Onion & Butter.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your version looks like heaven on a fork...almost like lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece of art is very fantastic ! Please also give their nutrition data when you upload all these recipe !!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!