Monday, May 7, 2012

Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese--Crazy Cooking Challenge



It's that time of the month again!  Time for the Crazy Cooking Challenge.  Can I tell you how much I love participating in this challenge every month?  It's so fun for me to go through others blogs and find recipes to fit the parameter of the challenge for the month.

This challenge was perfect for me.  I LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches.  I lived off them in college, and still eat them quite often.  I especially love when the cheese oozes out of the sandwich, becoming crispy and fried in the pan.  {{drool}}

Pin It

This sandwich was quick to put together, and had the wonderful taste of spinach artichoke dip.  I used sourdough bread and it was perfect.

Don't forget to check out the bottom of this post (if you follow in a reader, you'll probably have to click over to the actual blog) and see all the other crazy cookers out there who made grilled cheese sandwiches!

Photobucket

SPINACH ARTICHOKE GRILLED CHEESE
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
slightly adapted from: A Couple Cooks

  • 3 cups chopped fresh (washed) spinach
  • canned artichoke hearts (about 3), chopped
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a provolone mozzarella blend)
  • 4 pieces bread (I used sourdough)
  • garlic powder, salt

Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add the spinach.  Sprinkle with garlic powder and some salt.  Saute just until limp, then add the chopped artichokes.  Saute for another minute or two, until everything is heated through.  Drain off any liquid in the pan, and add the sour cream and some more salt (just a pinch).
On each piece of bread, spread butter on 1 side.  Heat a griddle pan to medium heat.  Add 2 slices of bread to the grill, spread some cheese, the artichoke-spinach mixture, and some more cheese (approx 1/2 cup per sandwich).  Top with the rest of the bread.  When the bottom is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the other side is browned.
Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Yum! It was so hard to decide on just one grilled cheese to make this month. This one was on my list, too. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, anything on sourdough is a winner! But add in a spinach dip and you've got me hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that this is on sourdough! Great choice for the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm... I love sourdough and a grilled cheese sandwich is even better. This sounds really good - I love spinach and artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I'm definitely trying this one soon! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spinach and artichoke dip is my fav - can't imagine how insanely good this is. I hope you'll stop by to see my Muzzi in Caruzzi grilled cheese.

    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! The perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how wonderful to have a dip as a sandwich!! visiting from CCC #63 come visit when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks both delicious and healthy-ish. :) I bet it does taste like spinach artichoke dip - I'm sold there!

    Stopping by from CCC #7 - stumbled, pinned, Fb'd, tweeted, and voted for your grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, boy, does this look amazing! All my favorite ingredients in one yummy sandwich

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw the same recipe, now i have to try this out !!, lovely clicks CCC#80

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love the use of fresh spinach in this one! Great choice for the Challenge!!
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground CCC #48

    ReplyDelete
  13. One word "Yum!" I was chowing down on Spinach and Artichoke dip at a family party yesterday so I think I would love this. Great entry for the CCC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how delicious you made this sandwich sound. A great specialty sandwich for guests too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love spinach artichoke dip - I bet it makes a great grilled cheese

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohgoodnessgracious, i need that for lunch today!! it looks and sounds amazing!!

    Stopping by from CCC #33, please pop on over if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, I am making this for dinner this week for sure! Thanks for participating in CCC !!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mmm looks yummy! I love provolone.

    Jen #40

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great recipe it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks so good.. Great choice


    #25 CCC

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!