Friday, October 3, 2008

Using up that never-ending Zucchini


ZUCCHINI BREAD


Did you plant a garden this year? I attempted my first garden. It pretty much failed. and it's completely my fault too, I kind of forgot to water a lot of the time. I did get a few tomatoes, my cucumber hardly grew, and my dog ate all the strawberries. But that's ok, I tried. Luckily my grandmother had a great garden and gave me some squash and zucchini. my munchkin LOVES zucchini. Not so much the squash.

Next year we'll hopefully be out of our basement apartment and into a home. And I hope to have a REAL garden. Not planter boxes on the deck. Then I'll plant a zucchini plant. Just one, because I know that these guys can get a little crazy, and grow a lot. But zucchini freezes good! shred it up and freeze it, and you too can make this zucchini bread in the middle of winter.


Here's what's going in this bread. Zucchini (duh), eggs, oil, flour, sugar, chocolate chips (yeah, this are optional, if you're not feeling it. . .but they make it soo yummy!) baking powder, and baking soda. And let's not forget those little ingredients that make it good, but you can't taste. Vanilla and salt.

Crack your eggs into the mixture and start beating them. I love my mixer. It's my pride and joy, and I'm so glad I bought it. Expensive li'l sucker, but worth it.

Grate up a few cups worth of zucchini. I don't measure anything, and I chose to leave the skin on it as well. That's totally up to you! I believe most of the nutrients of vegetables are in the skin, so I like to keep it on as much as I can.

Mix together all the wet ingredients for a few minutes.


And mix together all your dry ingredients.

Then mix the dry with the wet. It works out best if you have the mixer on, while you slowly add about a cup at a time. Then everything gets all mixed together nicely.


If you want to add those yummy chocolate chips, now is the time!


MAKE SURE YOU GREASE THE PANS!!!!! That's very important, otherwise, you're going to have a hard time getting the loaves out when you're done cooking. Trust me on that one. These are even non-stick pans, and with the extra layer of grease on it, it was still kind of close.

Cook for about hour and let them cool. This makes a really good breakfast!!

ZUCCHINI BREAD

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • chocolate chips

Beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add oil, sugar, vanilla, and zucchini. Mix well. In a separate container, mix the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and mix well. Pour into bread pans and back at 325deg for about one hour, or until browned, and a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!