Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Egg Cups

EGG CUPS

Over at Real Mom Kitchen, Laura made these Egg cups the other day. I had to try them. but I was a little worried about them sticking to my pan. I don't have good luck with thing not sticking in my pan. They always stick!! for that very reason I don't care much for baking.

Easy shopping list:
  • Eggs
  • Bacon
these need to be bullet-ed (?) now, for the sake of my dear brother who just looks at the pictures and doesn't read anything I write. Now, I'd like to tell you a story about him, since he skips all the stuff. I was talking with him today about food (like we're prone to do) and he was telling me about how he made my pesto lasagna. He told me I needed to put my ingredients at the top of the page, not the bottom. I, of course, looked at him like he was an idiot and told him they're at the top, that I usually say something like "Shopping list" or "You need". He scoffed at me, and said he doesn't read everything, mostly just looks at the pictures so I should bullet the list so it stands out. so because I didn't have the list bulleted, he didn't know to cook his frozen spinach or his chicken; he was flying by the seat of his pants because he was too darn lazy to read what I wrote.

Yeah, my brother fully supports me in my blogging addiction.

Anyway, grab yourself a muffin pan and spray it down with your favorite pan greaser.

Then wrap a piece of bacon around each cup.

Laura just cracked her eggs straight in. I for one prefer scrambled eggs over pretty much any egg, so I cracked one egg into a cup, scrambled it up and poured it into a cup. Yeah, it's a little more work to scramble each egg separately, but not THAT much more work.

My brother probably wouldn't do it (just teasing you bud!)

Go ahead and bake for about 20 minutes until the eggs are cooked through and your bacon is as crispy as you want it. See how as the bacon shrinks it kind of pulls the egg away from the cup? The grease also helps it not to stick as much.

And then you end up with these beautiful, tasty egg cups! Yum! thanks for the great recipe laura.

EGG CUPS
  • eggs
  • bacon
Preheat your oven to 350deg. Line each cup with a slice of bacon. Crack an egg into each cup if you want your eggs hard boiled. Scramble each egg individually in a bowl then pour into a cup if you want your eggs scrambled. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are cooked and the bacon is the crispiness that you want. (this can also be stored in the fridge after cooking and reheated for a quite breakfast on the run! the bacon just isn't as crispy). (oh yeah, and these are dairy free because eggs aren't 'dairy', contrary to what your grocery add says, they're protein)


On a side now, I also experimented with the recipe, and would like to report my failure. Well, perhaps it didn't have to be quite the failure I turned it into. I decided to try to make little mini quiches wrapped in bacon. My baby loved the original egg cups, she was bound to love these!

I used the same process, and threw in some cheese (soy cheese) and asparagus chunks into each one. I also mixed a little bit of soy milk into the egg to make it more quiche-like. Or maybe it's frittata-like. Either way. . . .


They made a MESS. They didn't stay contained in the bacon (I think because of the extra milk) OR the muffin tin. Now I have to clean out my oven. I HATE cleaning my oven.


And they aren't pretty to look at either. They tasted alright. Captain Jax said there was too much soy in them.


I think I'm just going to stick with the original egg cups. If you try it as quiche, let me know how it works out for you!

6 comments:

  1. I put just a bit of baking powder in with my eggs when I scramble them and it makes them SO light and fluffy. Plus you can't taste the baking powder at all. I'd say about 1/2 tsp. per 6 eggs. These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny that your brother didn't think you had your recipes user-friendly enough!!! Thanks for the picture of something that didn't turn out. Nice to know you're human ;)
    Someday when I remember to buy bacon I'm going to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, bacon!!! You know how I love my bacon!! Sorry about the quiches though :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I think the quiches look quite delicious! I'm going to try the egg cups, but I think I'll also try your quiches ... maybe just not filled as much as yours ;) Tonight I'm making your Baked Rigatoni for supper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the egg cups....mmmmm, bacon,bacon, bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK....we've had these twice in a week....so easy and fun and fast! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!