Saturday, October 2, 2010

Saturday's Party--Cake Balls

SATURDAY'S PARTY WITH CAKE BALLS

Thanks to everyone for linking to last week's party!  Sorry this post is up so late. I'm still recovering from hosting a Bridal Shower for my dear sister today.

Here's a taste of what was shared last week:

Natalie over at The Sweets Life shared this recipe for Basil Parmesan Crackers.  Wow, I have never made homemade crackers before, but she just inspired me. 
Thanks for linking up Natalie!

I know that cake balls have been a little over done, at least in my opinion.  Shoot, Bakerella just published a book dedicated to cake balls! And even though they're still everywhere, I want that book.

My skills are basic, but they're just as tasty even though they aren't gorgeous!  My method is simple as well.  I have two kids that require a LOT of attention--especially Baby M and all his medical equipment.  It's easy to do.  Cake, frosting, and dipping chocolate.  You pick the flavors to create your own taste.  These ones are chocolate cake and frosting, with a splash of mint extract to give it some of that mint-chocolate flavor.  I'm toying with a german chocolate cake ball, with that gooey coconut frosting somehow mixed into the chocolate coating.  Mmmmm, it sounds so good!


CAKE BALLS
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
  • 1 box cake mix
  • 1can frosting
  • dipping chocolates
Bake the cake according to the directions.  Let it sit overnight, just covered with a dish cloth.  The next day, break the cake up into pieces, and then destroy it.  You want a bowl full of cake crumbs.  Mix in the can of frosting, until the cake is like a dough, and holds together.  Using a cookie scoop (or some spoons) make balls and place on a tray.  Freeze.  When the balls are frozen, melt your chocolates and roll the cake balls until they're completely covered in the chocolate.  Freeze again.  Transfer to a container, and eat at your pleasure! They're good at room temperature, or even frozen. 

Some varieties: carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, strawberry cake with white frosting, add different extracts for different flavorings: mint, almond, fruit etc.

Now go find something party related and link it up to our party!

RULES OF SATURDAY'S PARTY:
  • Please link to your original POST, not directly to your blog's homepage.
  • Anything pertaining to a party is welcome! Food, drinks, decoration ideas, theme ideas, etc.
  • Grab the Saturday's party button to add to your post, or link back to this post so others can come here and see the other great party ideas!

Recipes Of A Cheapskate

2 comments:

  1. Those cake balls look soooooo good! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    I would like to invite you to join in my Slow Cooking Saturdays Recipe Swap. I have a few scheduled weekly themes up already. You can find them under the "Slow Cooking Saturdays" tab at the top of the page.

    Keep up the GREAT work! Everything looks soooo delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so delicious! Love anything chocolate! thanks for stopping by my blog...

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!