Thursday, September 30, 2010

Creamy Basil Chicken

 CREAMY BASIL CHICKEN SAUCE

(PS--there's still time to link-up to this week's Saturday's Party!!)

Wow.  After taking the first bite of this dish, I felt like I was transported to an Italian Restaurant.  Captain Jax said he didn't feel the same way, because he never likes anything at an Italian Restaurant, and he LOVED this dish.  It was amazing, and I love it!

Have you been over to Real Mom Kitchen?  Laura has many wonderful recipes, I love reading her blog.  I also love that she's local here in Utah!   This is a spin on one of her recipes, I just adapted it to make it easier for a toddler to enjoy.

I decided to do things a little different than the original recipe.  Basically because I have a toddler, and chicken in more manageable pieces works better in our house.  I pretty much ended up making chicken nuggets.  And K-girl loved it.  

Even with the sauce over the top, K-girl STILL ate it.  That was impressive, since it had things that look 'healthy' in it.  As for us?  I would have been happy sitting there drinking the creamy goodness.

It was also a wonderful excuse to use fresh basil.  I just got a plant, and I love the way it smells!  Now I just need to find a way to keep it from dying. . . .

Kind of looks like Christmas, huh? With those pretty red pimentos, and fresh green basil!

CREAMY BASIL CHICKEN
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
Adapted from: http://realmomkitchen.com
  • 3 chicken breasts, cut into about 1 inch pieces
  • 3-4 eggs
  • Italian flavored bread crumbs
  • flour
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 (4oz) can of pimentos, drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil 
  • 1/2-1 cup parmesan cheese
  • pepper
Dredge the chicken in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.  Cook in a skillet on medium heat with some oil.  Keep the chicken warm in a dish covered with foil.  When the chicken is all cooked, pour the broth in the pan and deglaze it.  Make sure you get all the tasty bits off the bottom of the pan!  Bring the broth to a boil, and then add the cream, and pimentos.  Boil for another minute, then add the cheese, and fresh basil.  Pour sauce over the chicken before serving.
This doesn't reheat as nice as I would have liked, but it's still tasty the next day. 

Linked to: Potluck Sunday at Mommy's Kitchen
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH, this looks soooooooo good!!! My mouth is totally watering and I'm SO GOING to try making this!!!! YUMMY!!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    Jenifer
    Jaime and Jen Dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so amazing -I cannot wait to try!

    Susan www.ugogrrl.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!