Friday, March 8, 2013

Panko Crusted Salmon


A 2-month break...apparently life got a little crazy around here.  It's  true story, but I won't go into too many details.  Suffice to say, baby #3 is joining our little family and cooking, blogging about food, and in some cases eating it, were the LAST thing I wanted to think about.

But I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.  Be patient with me as I'll be hit and miss.  This is a fun hobby for me, and often times other things come first!

This salmon recipe is a hit for me.  I eat it a few times a month.  It's quick to put together, and I've got the recipe pared down for 1 salmon filet.  I'm the only fish eater in my house, so it's on those nights that it's just me and kids.  They can have their scrambled eggs, or frozen waffles, and I'll cook up this salmon for me.  Win-win, right?

Besides being quick to put together, the crunchy panko with the tangy mustard is really a perfect fit for salmon.  My recipe calls for the Lemon-Pepper Panko, but regular panko would work just fine.  Add extra seasonings to give it lots of flavor though!


AND I love the ease of using my cast iron skillet.  Seriously folks, if you don't have at least ONE, go get one!  I pan cook the salmon first and then throw the whole pan into the oven to finish cooking!  It's extra nice for my clean up as well.


Let me talk you through the process of this recipe, ok?  Since I'm using measurements like "dash", and "sprinkle".  I take my filet, skin-side down, and run a line of dijon mustard down the center of it.  Then spread it around with a spoon, covering every bit! This is what the panko will stick to.  I mix together the panko, salt and pepper, and some parmesan cheese with a little bit of olive oil.  That mixture get pressed onto the filet and the filet then gets cooked on the stove AND in the oven.  Now that you've got the concept, you can adjust to make multiple filets, yes? :)

PANKO CRUSTED SALMON
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
Adapted from: Annie's Eats
Recipe is for 1 standard salmon filet

  • 2 Tbsp Lemon-Pepper Panko
  • dash of salt and pepper
  • Sprinkle of parmesan cheese
  • olive oil
  • dijon mustard (regular works just fine too, I promise)
  • 1 salmon filet

Preheat your oven to 425degs.  Using a cast iron pan, or another oven safe pan, heat up a small amount of oil over medium-high heat on the stove.  Prepare the salmon by running a line of dijon mustard down the middle of it and spread it all around the top of the salmon.  Mix together panko, salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and a small bit of oil.  Press that mixture thickly onto the salmon.
By now your oil in hot and ready for the salmon.  Gently place the salmon skin side down and sear it for just a few minutes.  This really helps the skin come off easily when you eat it.  Then put the whole pan into the oven for 5-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the filet, until the panko is nice and browned.  Let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!