Sunday, April 21, 2013

Strawberry Spinach Salad

 Spring is here!  I think.  It's hard to tell around here, because we'll get a week of beautiful weather, and then snow.  Mother Nature is a tease.  But I know, even if Spring isn't quite here yet, it's right around the corner, it's trying to push through the cold weather!

And so I start looking at the fresh food at the grocery store closer, because it's starting to become more affordable as it comes in season!  That's my favorite.  I hate buying out of season produce, because I hate spending an arm and a leg on my food!


This spinach salad is fresh and affordable, when you get the strawberries on sale especially!

When I made this salad, I used a large bag of spinach, the largest my store carried, and there was plenty for the 12 of us eating dinner.

STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
Slightly adapted from: Radiant Health Inner Wealth

Salad:

  • 1 bag/bunch spinach leaves (whatever size your grocer carries)
  • approx 1lb fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced
  • sliced almonds, toasted (the toasted is optional, mine were not)

Dressing:

  • 2 Tbsp EACH: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar
  • 1 Tbsp EACH: sesame seeds, soy sauce, orange juice
  • 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
  • 1/8 tsp paprika

Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.  Layer the salad in a large bowl: spinach, strawberries, and then a sprinkle of almonds.  Continue until the bowl is full.  You can either add the dressing to the salad before serving, or let others serve themselves.  I prefer to let others serve themselves.  Give the dressing a good shake before serving.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This is excellent with mandarin oranges and grilled chicken as well. And I definitely recommend toasting the almonds. This is my dinner on the nights I feed the kids chicken nuggets, I just cut a few nuggets to eat in my salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by my blog! I have been browsing through your recipes and they all look fantastic! I am sure I will be trying a few of them soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also highly recommend kiwi to a salad like this. One of my favorite summer dishes!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!