Sunday, June 29, 2008

Spinach Mushroom Quiche

SPINACH MUSHROOM QUICHE
That's what's for dinner tonight

Here's what we've got cooking in the cheapskate's kitchen today. This meal is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. What we need is: pie crust ( buy one or make on, I won't judge you! I'm buying, because I don't have the time to make one!) spinach, milk, eggs, mozzarella cheese, 1 onion, mushrooms, and sour cream. Well, the original recipe actually called for smoked Gouda cheese, but I didn't have that on hand, so mozzarella it was!

Take your bowl and crack 8 eggs into it.

mix them up good, and then mix in your milk and sour cream. This is the first time I've put sour cream in a quiche before, and it doesn't mix up very well. Maybe if it was closer to room temperature. But then, it would be gross. Anyway, it doesn't affect the recipe any.

Chop up your onion. This is half an onion, and in my opinion, that was too much onion. We don't care too much for onion around this place.


Saute it in some butter until it's nice and caramelized. I do like the look of cooked onions. I'd also turn your oven on at this point too, get everything nice and preheated so you can cook your pie crust before you put your egg stuff in it.


See? Aren't those pretty?? and I love my spatula. It's awesome, and can withstand heat very, very well. I use it to cook everything.


Chop up your mushrooms, to your desired size. I got sick of chopping them up, so I just broke them into chunks and dropped them in the bowl. While you're at it, grate up your cheese and put in the bowl.

Mix those together, then it's time to get started on the spinach!


I left mine in bigger chunks, well, because I had this distracting me from taking my time to do it like it 'should' be done:


Yup, she sure makes it hard to get much done around here!


Now you've got all your ingredients all mixed together nicely, and you've put your pie crust in the oven to cook for about 10 minutes (you did do that. . .right?? if not, go ahead and do so now)
Then pour your mixture into the crust so it's filled! Ta-da! but wait. . .what's this we have here?


There's still half the mixture left! now thank your lucky stars you bought the package with two pie crusts in it, and put the second one in the oven, so you can fill them both up. Make sure you cook it long enough, otherwise it's not very good. . .trust me on that one.


Now you've got your two quiches done and ready to eat! Better just eat one first. . .maybe give the second to your in-laws because they're so great to you. and never you mind about how dirty my stove is. Remember what I have distracting me?

Enjoy! (PS-I ate about 1/2 of one by myself. . .in one sitting. . .that's how good this is!)

Spinach Mushroom Quiche
Ingredients:
  • 1 recipe Pastry shell for single crust pie (better buy 2!)
  • ½ cup Chopped onion
  • 1 tbsp Butter
  • 8 Eggs
  • 1 ½ cup mushrooms
  • ½ cup Sour cream
  • ½ cup milk
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 3 cups spinach, snipped
  • 1 ¼ cups mozzarella
Method:

Bake crust at 425 in an 8 inch pie or tart pan until set and dry. (8-12 minutes)
Sauté onions in butter until transparent
In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly with a fork. Stir in sour cream and milk, salt and pepper. Stir in onion, spinach, and cheese
Pour egg mixture into the hot, baked pastry crust. Bake at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let quiche rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!