Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Peach Cobbler

PEACH COBBLER

(still time to link up to Saturday's party!  See link HERE.)


 This was amazing.  By far, the best peach cobbler I have ever eaten.  I can't wait to try it in a dutch oven. 

 The edges were crispy and full of buttery flavor.  Oh, and the ratio of cake vs peaches was perfect.  Not too much cake, and not too many peaches.  How I wish I had fresh peaches to make this with!  Someday, when we have our own peach tree.


And I can only imagine it, warm out of the oven, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.  Perfect!


EASY PEACH COBBLER
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
Adapted from: Southern Living
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 cups peach slices or two cans (small ones), drained
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • cinnamon
Turn oven to 375deg.  Place the butter in a 9x13 pan, and put the pan in the oven.  (remember, butter gets HOT in the oven, and could easily stop popping and burn you when you take it out!) While the butter melts, mix together the flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add a little bit of cinnamon. Add the milk and stir until combined.  Pour the batter over the melted butter.  Don't stir them together!  This gives us our crunchy edge.  Mix the other 1 cup sugar, peaches, and lemon juice and bring to a boil on the stove.  Pour over the batter.  Once again, don't stir!!  Sprinkle generously with cinnamon.  Bake for about 45minutes.

I had good success in cutting this recipe in 1/2 for a 9x9pan.  I also didn't boil the peaches the second time.  If using fresh peaches, I would probably still boil to get the juices flowing, but with using canned, I just mixed the sugar and lemon juice with them.  I baked for about 30 minutes.

October 30th 2011--
I've made this recipe a lot since originally posting it.  Here are my changes: I don't mix the peaches with the extra cup of sugar, and most of the time, don't even use the lemon juice.  If I were using fresh, I'd probably still use the lemon juice and some sugar, but I am usually using canned.  Instead I sprinkle the top of the cobbler with brown sugar before baking.  It's pretty awesome this way :)

1 comment:

  1. Warm peach cobbler sounds so good on a cold day like today!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!