Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Creamy No-Boil Mac and Cheese


I could really live in a world full of comfort food.  Creamy soups, warm homemade bread, gooey pasta dishes. . .Mmmmmm. . . .

Fall came a bit unexpectedly here this week.  I was enjoying a nice weekend, full of good weather and then BAM!  High of 44degs expected tomorrow??  And the wind has been blowing, I thought I was going to be lifted up like Dorthy in the Wizard Of Oz and flown away somewhere else.  At the very least, the contents of my neighbors yard was going to end up in my yard, along with branches from their tree.  

On another note, sometimes my fridge has unexplained cartons of cottage cheese.  I don't really use cottage cheese.  In a pinch I use it in place of ricotta, but I usually have ricotta on hand.  So then I try to find ways to use up said cottage cheese, that's different than using it as a sub for ricotta.  This recipe just called my name. The ease of it, the gooeyness.  You can't beat throwing everything into a pan and letting it do it's thing.  

Yup. Right up my alley.  


CREAMY NO BOIL MAC AND CHEESE
Adapted From: Plain Chicken
  • 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 tsp powdered mustard (1 tsp if using regular)
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 pound grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 lb pasta noodles, uncooked (I like penne or rigatoni, but elbow works great)

Preheat oven to 375degs.  In a food processor or blender, blend all but cheddar cheese and pasta.  Combine the mixture with the UNCOOKED pasta noodles, and all but about 1/2-1 cup shredded cheese.  Spoon the mixture into a greased 9inch square pan.  Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes.  Uncover the pan, stir it all gently, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes, until browned.  Let cool for a little bit, and then serve.  

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I made this yesterday. It was super easy and very tasty! Going to try the Avocado Pasta next!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!