Monday, October 29, 2012

Honey Spiced Peaches



I canned peaches a few weeks ago.  BARELY caught the end of the season.  For some reason, I thought it was going on for a while longer.  I was wrong.  I bought 2 of the last 5 boxes at the local orchard.  None of the random fruit stands around some local cities had them (I went to probably 5).  But I am sure glad I was able to get some.  

Peach cobbler is a regular treat around our house.  About every other Sunday I throw this dish into the oven after dinner and then burn my tongue when it comes out.  I just get too excited about eating it!  This recipe for Honey Spices Peaches is going to make my peach cobbler amazing.  I just know it!


Warning to those who are new to canning: Make sure you have an appropriate canning guide (from your local extension office, or a book like Ball's Blue Book OR their website has lots of good info) and the right equipment.  If any of your jars don't seal or don't look right--aka, 1 of these jars is not like the others, do not store them.  Place them in your fridge and use them quickly.  Please use caution and the smarts you have to prevent food-borne illnesses in your family.  

HONEY SPICED PEACHES
Adapted very slightly from: localkitchenblog.com and Ball's Blue Book of Preserving
(recipe below is for 12 half-pint jars)
  • 12-15 average peaches, if peaches lean to the small side use at least 15, if towards the large side, 12 should be enough
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 cups honey
  • 6 cinnamon sticks, halves into 12 pieces
  • whole cloves
  • allspice

Prepare your jars by washing everything.  I just run them all through the dishwasher together.  Into each jar place 1/2 of a cinnamon stick, a sprinkle of allspice, and 1-2 cloves (depending on how strong you want the flavor). We are dry packing these peaches, similar to canning regular peaches or pears.  Prepare the peaches by boiling them for a few minutes to loosen the skin.  Remove from the boiling water and place into cold water.  Slice the pieces in half and remove the skin and pit.  Chop into pieces. Place the chopped peaches into the jars full of spices.  I found 1 chopped peach fit into 1 jar fairly well.  Leave 1/2inch headspace.  Once all the jars are filled prepare your hot syrup by boiling together the sugar, water, and honey.  Pour the hot syrup into the jars leaving that 1/2inch head space! Wipe the jars down, especially around the top, then attach the lids and rings and process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.  (adjust time according to your altitude: 10001-3000: +5minutes, 3001-6000: +10 minutes, 6001-8000: +15 minutes, 8001-10,000: +20minutes).

WARNING: Lower the jars into hot water slowly and carefully to avoid breaking the jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!