Monday, September 17, 2012

French Dip Sandwiches



There's something comforting about dipping a sandwich in something.  I don't know what it is.  Bread into clam chowder, grilled cheese into tomato soup, or this french dip sandwich.  It's just yummy!  And that's saying something from me, considering I hate soggy bread.  I don't eat bread pudding, or quiche with bread in it.  Soggy bread just is NOT ok in my book.  But yet, you will catch me dipping bread into soups all the time.  

I don't know why.  

One of the things I love most about this recipe is what I can do with the leftovers (watch for them later this week).  There are so many options available! And that's perfect for busy lives.  Make the roast one day, and eat it throughout the week in different forms.

Plus?  Crockpot baby.  Need I say more?  Throw it in and come back to shred it later that day.  Quick and simple.


French Dip Sandwiches
Posted at: http://recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com
Adapted from: Our Best Bites
  • (1) 3lb roast (give or take a few ounces)
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 pkgs mushroom and onion soup mix
  • 3 cups water mixed with 3 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 cup water 
  • 6-8 large rolls
  • provolone cheese
There are 2 methods to preparing the roast.  I tend to go the lazy route of seasoning with salt and pepper then just plopping it in the crockpot.  The other method is to sear it on all sides to help keep the juices in, and THEN plop it in the crockpot.  You can choose.  Pour the beef broth, water, and soup mix into the crockpot and add the roast.  Or do it the other way around.  Just get everything in the crockpot.  Cook it on high for 4-5 hours then low for 3-4.  Or on low for 8-10 hours.  When the roast is done (it will shred easily.  If it doesn't shred easy, cook it longer) pull it out and shred it up.  Place some on a roll, top with cheese, and broil it until the roll is browned and the cheese is melted.  Watch it!  Things get burned quick with the broiler.  Ladle some of the juice into small bowls for dipping and enjoy!

Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!